Traffideck E5 Primer is a formulated 100% solids epoxy primer designed to provide a high degree of substrate sealing and adhesion between ReadySeal and concrete, steel, aluminium and timber surfaces where residual moisture within the substrate limits the use of Traffideck E4 Primer.
Supplied as a kit consisting of Part A Component Traffideck E5 Primer Base and Part B Activator Traffideck E5 Primer Curative.
• All surface should be prepared strictly in accordance with the manufacturer’s specification and surface preparation document.
• Cementitious substrate moisture content must not exceed 4% by volume and must be protected against rising damp. Surfaces must be dry and failure to comply with the above may result in failures.
• The temperature of the substrate must be at least 3°C above the current dew point temperature.
• All substrate repairs must be fully cured and compatible with any product that may be subsequently applied. The substrate must be of a load bearing quality.
If there are any doubts about suitability a small trial area should be applied and tested for suitability.
Traffideck E5 Primer is supplied in pre-weighed packages. It is essential that all of Part B – Activator is added to all of Part A Base and mixed thoroughly in a separate 10 litre mixing vessel using an electric drill and missing paddle as slow speed (300 – 400 rpm) for a minimum of 2 minutes, ensuring a homogeneous streak free mix is achieved. This involves working the paddle around the sides and bottom of the vessel ensuring that no unmixed material remains.
• Once fully mixed the Traffideck E5 Primer should be applied immediately to the substrate using a flat rubber or foam squeegee, twin-armed roller, brush or airless spray. It must then be back-rolled with a medium nap roller sleeve to fill voids and pores in the substrate. To provide a mechanical key the primer must be fully aggregated with 0.3 – 0.6mm kiln dried crystallised quartz sand immediately after the primer has been back-rolled.
• Once the primer has cured to a tack-free state the excess kiln dried crystallised quartz sand must be removed using a stiff bristled broom or mechanical sweeper followed by vacuuming or compressed air blowing prior to over-coating.
• If the surface is extremely rough, porous or textured Traffideck E5 Primer should be applied by roller. Consumption will increase and care must be taken to remove “puddles” of primer before broadcasting the aggregate.
• Extra care must be taken to ensure all substrates are kept dry and the temperature of the substrate must remain at least 3°C above the current dew point temperature whilst curing. Failure to protect the primer from moisture during curing will have a detrimental effect in the adhesion between layers and must therefore be removed.
• The workability of reacting material will be influenced by the substrate and ambient temperature.
• Traffideck E5 Primer should be used at an ambient temperature of 0°C – 35°C.
• Part A and Part B component temperature should be 15°C – 30°C at the time of processing.
• Under no circumstances should applications be carried out in damp weather conditions or if rain is forecast.